Open Graph (OG) meta tags are special meta tags that are used to describe the content of a page and determine how it will be displayed on social networks.
To create unique and high-quality Open Graph meta tags, consider the following guidelines:
- Use unique and clear titles: they will appear in the title of the post on the social network.
- Add a picture: it will be used as the cover for the post. The image must be of high quality and relevant to the content of the page.
- Add a description: This will appear in the social media post and should clearly describe the content of the page.
- Specify the page type: this will help social networks better understand what the page is and how it should be displayed. For example, if it's a news article, then the type could be "article".
- Specify the URL of the page: this is necessary so that social networks can understand which page to display.
- An example of Open Graph meta tags:
<meta property=»og:title» content=»Заг
Benefits of Open Graph meta tags
Open Graph meta tags are useful for improving the visibility of a site on social media. When a user shares a link to a website page on a social network, it is displayed as a post with a title, description, and picture. If the Open Graph meta tags were not specified, then the social network will use the standard title and description of the page, which may not be the most effective.
Open Graph meta tags can also help improve a site's visibility in search, as social media is often used as a source of traffic. If a post with a link to a site gets a lot of likes and reposts, this can increase the authority of the site in the eyes of search engines.